Cyril Wratten

Richard Offen richard at s...
Wed Oct 27 18:35:28 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "CHRIS PICKFORD"
<c.j.pickford.t21 at b...> wrote:
> Very sorry to learn of Cyril's death. He was a first rate ringing
historian, and had the Central Council not consumed so much of his
energy for many years - their gain, but undoubtedly our loss! - he
would doubtless have written a great deal more. I owed him a great
deal, as it was he who encouraged me to delve into eighteenth and
nineteenth century newspapers for ringing reports in my student days
and sparked my interest in research. He was also unfailingly generous
in sharing his information and answering enquiries.

> It is so sad that illness prevented him from completing the many
projects he began, and that he and Margery had such a brief
opportunity to enjoy his retirement. A fine ringer, a good man, an
authority on ringing history and a dedicated servant of the exercise -
his memory will live on.

> CP

I would like to echo Chris's sentiments at the sad loss of Cyril.
He was indeed a fine ringing, noded ringing historian and, above all,
a lovely man. I still have much of the correspondence we exchange
in the late seventies and early eighties on early ringing in Kent and
treasure the memory of long and fascinating conversations with him,
both in person and over the phone.

Our thoughts go out to Margery and the rest of his family at this
time.

Richard