[Bell Historians] New poll for bellhistorians

David Bryant david at b...
Wed Sep 1 16:47:01 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Peter Humphreys" <pfh at w...>
wrote:
> By whatever
> means we should encourage the ringing fraternity to acknowledge that
> such errors do exist and endeavour to provide the correct values or
best
> estimates thereat.

Quite. There is often a degree of exaggeration where tenor weights
are concerned, to make out that they are bigger than that of the next
village or town. If anyone were to look at the estimated weights
given in Dove through the nine issues, I'm sure they would see that
in many cases the estimated weight has been reduced, often
considerably, as the locally reputed weights are replaced by measured
estimates. It would appear that the present compilers want to reverse
this trend, and go back to locally reputed weights (which, I find,
are sometimes vigorously defended by the local ringers against all
logic).