Bell Books (was Church Bells of Herefordshire)

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at b...
Tue Feb 1 12:50:56 GMT 2005

Just in case anyone with an enquiring mind is tempted to follow up Bill's reference to Rita Shenton as a bookseller, I'm sorry to have to report that she died late last year. She dealt mainly in clock books which was her special interest, but also sold books on bells. As her death was so recent, she may still be listed in directories of booksellers etc

CP

Willbutler at a... wrote:
I bought my copy of the complete work (for £12!) in February 1981 from Rita Shenton, who was doing a good business in selling bell books at that time. The extra frontispiece is of the early thirteenth century bell at Hatfield, and the extra title page has VOLUMES I-V printed under the title. On the reverse is "Limited edition of the complete work bound as one volume, 1976." The red cloth binding is similar to that used by Fred Sharpe in his binding of the complete edition of the Church bells of Oxfordshire which I bought directly from him.

Bill Butler

The same could be said of Herefordshire, which I think says on the title page of the bound volume something like 'limited edition of the complete work issued as one volume 19??'. However, this title page seems to have been issued loose with volume five to be used in the binding of the complete set as one volume. Were any bound volumes of the complete set actually sold, or was it left up to the buyer to do this. Certainly, my copy of Herefordshire is made up of the five volumes bound together. It does have the title page, but is clearly bound from five separate books, as is made particularly clear by the fact that volume 1 was printed on different paper to the others.