[Bell Historians] Monkton

Anne Willis zen16073 at z...
Wed Jan 19 19:06:23 GMT 2005

charset="us-ascii"

_____

From: David Bryant [mailto:davidbryant at h...]
Sent: 19 January 2005 18:40
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Monkton

> I have received he pack from the estate agents re Monkton

I've got one too. The recommendation from the local planning authority is
for a non-residential use, such as an antique shop. It also states that
'All stained glass with the exception of the south chancel window by W
Wailes will most likely have to remain in situ'. Also 'We wish to stress
that the Local Planning Authority consider conversion to full time
residential use inappropriate and are likely to resist such a proposal.'

The building is Grade II* listed - presumably it is only this high on
account of the glass.

David

Depends who built it etc. The glass alone could give it the * rating, but
the other fittings maybe of note. Nineteenth century churches are as
interesting as older ones in their own way. I haven't got a Pevsner for
Devon, so I can't look it up.

Anne