Tuning forks

Jim Phillips jim.phillipse9ox at oFoD8G3iWJ3bfaKGAk-417WSn8mtDJ6VR5qyJifTN4ZVV2XqPeHGR2-NI-78iS8Gzfa7YvI_POG9i1U6V89KuzBdImoaqhlxkuk.yahoo.invalid
Thu Apr 13 23:26:59 BST 2006

Someone wrote:-
"I'm having a bit of a tidy up. I've got a box full of
miscellaneous unmarked and rusty tuning forks of all shapes
and sizes. Common sense says chuck them in the
 skip, but that seems wrong.  What would anyone else do...?
"

DrL wrote:-
"How about offering them to Jim Phillips and suggest he
tune a bell better than those who use oscilloscopes (sic)?
:)"

I have a better idea.  How about offering the tuning forks
to our remaining bell foundries so that they can get down
to some serious tuning to bring back the glory days of
Chewton Mendip, Ditcheat, York Minster, Worcester,Truro,
Beverly, St Nicks Liverpool, Jewry, Cripplegate - all tuned
with forks, and there are many more rings of effervescent
glory in sound that were also tuned solely with forks.
English bell tuning took a nose dive with the introduction
of lazy cheap tuning by the ososillyscope and ringers are
expected to put up with it!  You don't use these bloody
stupid things when tuning a piano or pipe organ and if you
did it would ruin the overall sound of the instrument.
Furthermore how about bringing back the key of D-flat which
produces a far richer sound than the tom cat wail of a
C-sharp ring.