[Bell Historians] Notable Bells of the British Isles

Mike Chester mike at OrqUVQNavRnzQsjn5PmMLyKDOmApMR-a18VR1h4Nw9aPHAj1NfDix6SI7z5TGB_hwAClv62wDzTt0opz0JoBwF49nqLQa8E.yahoo.invalid
Fri Apr 14 19:51:49 BST 2006

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Chris Pickford"
<c.j.pickford.t21 at ...> wrote:
correct weight (clarified by Nigel Taylor)

> Don't know about Sunderland, and would be interested to hear more

The story, as I have it, is that when the old Town Hall building was
demolished the quarter bells were stored somewhere in the new Civic
Centre, (the car park comes to mind for some reason), and the hour
bell went to a depot just off the Durham Road, (was it Eden Vale,
Howard?).  All trace of the bells was lost around the mid/late 80s and
there was certainly nothing there when the depot was redeveloped a few
years ago.

I think that it is reasonably safe, but not 100% certain, to assume
that the bells were stolen for scrap.

Mike