[Bell Historians] Re: Tuning forks.

davidhird_uk davidhird_uk at tANtGmFMMH5y6rIqrVg6eoJJ7g4t5xv3KnnlE5VMkz0JJ6BD20zGkHTUsKmpJWIcMwxc9dD8T_UKc9YkX1BJFyGM.yahoo.invalid
Tue Apr 18 10:01:27 BST 2006

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Bryant"
<davidbryant at ...> wrote:

> Quite. I never rang on the old bells at the Bullring, but people's
opinion
> of them (and this seems to be confirmed by a recording I've heard)
is that
> they were an excellent-sounding 12, but the tower was good
acoustically. At
> Escrick, they are simply ordinary - sound-wise, they are not
remarkable at
> all. The tower isn't good acoustically, and I think that this
proves the
> point.
>
> David

The old bullring bells were quite grand with a unique brassy sound.
I think the bells themselves actually sound better now retuned than
they did before but the cramped space at Escrick detracts from this.
If they had been retuned and retained as the back 12 of the
bullring, they may have been quite exceptional.