[Bell Historians] William Seller

Susan & Christopher Dalton dalton.family at BBtUp8jQB6dMeREVQfV3QBclVVE6YGSkDPSxAAe-M9GABjZP3m6IQpGykeeXCV_DE7oI2ApHEaaoGUbf7qM8Iw.yahoo.invalid
Fri Feb 24 11:18:27 GMT 2006

> I don't think we can be very positive about this bell until someone actually
> sees it and transcribes the inscription in full and in particular checks the
> date.

Richard Jones and I inspected the bell at Spye Park bell last year, before
the property changed hands, as part of my current Wiltshire survey.

The bell is dated 1731 and this William Sellers (with an S) came from London
and I don't think had anything to do with Lincolnshire/Yorkshire Sellers
(who spelt their name without an S).  He was a clockmaker, CJP tells me, and
I have never seen nor heard of another bell by him.  The bell is a competent
casting, notwithstanding, and I don't think it was cast by anybody else.

C D