[Bell Historians] Re: Stonetcroft St Paul

David Bryant davidbryant at 8BN96ccH4fYdkp6PC0IK6k8KTligFoRl9raXYdlt3t8bEhYCDcOE005ZwORiok-eO9jcI9W1k_552a0UNjSdhDlac4k.yahoo.invalid
Mon Jun 26 22:06:53 BST 2006

>  Anyone know what is left in St. Pauls, Brighton? Went in once but
> couldn't find any info. I have it as a lost 8, but also have a note of a
> single bell weighing 41-1-13.

When the tower was built five bells, intended as 1,2,3,4 and tenor of a 41
cwt eight, were cast. However, when it was completed to an altered design
the tower was not strong enought for this, so four trebles were added to the
four smaller bells to make an eight, and the large bell was used as a
bourdon. Several decades ago seven of the ringing bells were scrapped and
the bourdon and remaining bell (treble or tenor I think - no doubt somebody
will know) were rehung.