[Bell Historians] Re: Clapper failure information request

David Beacham david1.beacham at 27p9FqaNFpfQ23DvARiEPN-USum3ZtN2gC4U3tPMYaOKlAAw-U8kg2XBu_3qyM3Mk4yR9Nb-hxLvqGtJGb22mQ.yahoo.invalid
Fri Mar 17 15:11:26 GMT 2006

Some while ago I mentioned, in regard to Worcester Cathedral, that whilst we
were waiting for E&S to manufacture a new SG tenor clapper, we had a
previously broken E&S SG clapper arc-welded locally and put back in the
bell. To our great surprise, it sounded great because it rebounded at least
two inches after impact, which it had not done before it broke. That clapper
survived the three or so weeks  that it was in use (including a QP) before
the new SG clapper arrived. We still have it, but it has not been refitted
since.

The wooden-shafted clapper also has a similar rebound; possibly rather more.
When rung on its own, the double-clappering can be heard, but I do not hear
it when it is rung together with the others.

As to "chattering" clappers, I could cite two Worcestershire towers that
underwent total restoration (everything new except the bells) where the
outside sound is, for me, marred by such chatter. One is a Whitechapel job
c.1985; the other is a Taylor's job c.1992; in both cases they have
thick-stemmed SG clappers that have little rebound. I don't know if any
modifications have been made to the design of these firms' clappers since
then that would reduce improve the bounce and hence the sound. I do think it
is great shame that quality of sound has been sacrificed for clapper life.
E&S "profiled" clappers are, however, free of this problem

DB