[Bell Historians] Re: Clapper failure information request

Richard Offen richard at heSbAFuMX26OtQZCjrnRCReyWlfzVTLI3pbseeVGBYaLgm-0hAfNrshDfhUmaGvr0TdIyml9tA.yahoo.invalid
Mon Mar 20 23:28:20 GMT 2006

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Beacham"
<david1.beacham at ...> wrote:

> Some while ago I mentioned, in regard to Worcester Cathedral, that
whilst we
> were waiting for E&S to manufacture a new SG tenor clapper, we had
> previously broken E&S SG clapper arc-welded locally and put back in
the
> bell. To our great surprise, it sounded great because it rebounded
at least
> two inches after impact, which it had not done before it broke.
That clapper
> survived the three or so weeks  that it was in use (including a QP)
before
> the new SG clapper arrived. We still have it, but it has not been
refitted
> since.

It's all very interesting.

I was watching our tenor clapper at Swan Bells on Saturday (very easy
to do there!).   It is a fairly thick-stemmed, lightly
counterbalanced clapper of SG iron, manufactured by Whitechapel in
the late 1980s when the bells came out here.   The clapper rebounds
about two inches on impact, which is probably why the bell sounds so
good.

I shall not tempt providence by commenting on its durability, but
suffice to say it gets far more use than most bells of its weight!

Richard