[Bell Historians] Re: Clapper failure information request

Richard Offen richard at sqV4G8otva9XeifVfRRghKaJrG489VCv5a4-sfjOufmb8rA7SmtHqRwIC2WqdDbDUVKAIMdgqg.yahoo.invalid
Mon Mar 20 23:30:33 GMT 2006

> It's all very interesting.
>
> I was watching our tenor clapper at Swan Bells on Saturday (very easy
> to do there!).   It is a fairly thick-stemmed, lightly
> counterbalanced clapper of SG iron, manufactured by Whitechapel in
> the late 1980s when the bells came out here.   The clapper rebounds
> about two inches on impact, which is probably why the bell sounds so
> good.
>
> I shall not tempt providence by commenting on its durability, but
> suffice to say it gets far more use than most bells of its weight!
>
> Richard

PS. The other advantage of this clapper is that I can get the bell up
right, by myself, with relatively little effort!