[Bell Historians] Norwich St John de Sepulchre

David Cawley dave at iZH98WKlansenSLHG04qZ4o_pOg6eL-OypyLtob47AoVirBsbXn6648GzjyYKzcdO7I4oFLYCViMxmwt4HrjSJ01.yahoo.invalid
Fri Oct 13 21:27:51 BST 2006

Yes, the back six bells and the fine G Day bell frame went to Erpingham, the
two trebles to East Harling. The clock bell is still hung "dead" in the
tower.

They were a pleasant eight, very quiet in the ground floor ringing room. I
remember ringing there in 1973 for the Norwich Triennial Music Festival;
they wanted all the bells in the City. We whipped the five treble ropes off
afterwards to put on at All Saints, which were just being repaired - the
draught at de Sepulchre was twice that at All Saints and the ropes were
wound round the arm spokes as well as the tops to take up the spare. Then
down to St Andrew's to chime the back 8 there. Yes, the de Sepulchre ropes
were put back, that night too! They became quite unavailable in the late
'70's owing to the state of the tower.

Paul Cattermole tells me that "Church Bells of Norwich" has gone very well;
copies are still available and it makes an excellent Christmass present.

By the way, the links quoted are not working as at the time of sending this.

DLC