Kidderminster tenor (was major third bells)

Bill Hibbert bill at 8DDy2vean2vInr94MpyJtE8JjH7wh_M8xTsZ7ucOdBg67rYBAFTcJGC2XuSLm7KigYD9MLlmwHLe5cY.yahoo.invalid
Mon Oct 16 20:39:03 BST 2006

Thanks to Alan Buswell for the figures from the G&J tuning of 1935,
which agree with mine based on recordings taken shortly before the
old bells were removed in 2003:

Partial, G&J1935, WAH2003
Hum, 173, 173.6 (-2101 cents)
Prime, 302, 301.8 (-1143 cents)
Tierce, 364, 363.4 (-822 cents)
Quint, 527, 525.9 (-182 cents)
Nominal, 585, 584.1

Ben Kipling:
> bells with very sharp Hums also tend to have sharp Tierces. When I
analysed it, I seem to remember that the Hum of the old
Kidderminster Tenor was in the vicinity of a flat sixth.
> a flatter Quint means the high waist will be thinner and the low
waist will be thicker, giving a sharper Tierce.

I have recently been doing some work with Robert Perrin based on
some papers he wrote in the 80's (e.g. RIR Modes of the Modern
English Church Bell, Journal of Sound and Vibration (1987) 119(2),
243-247 for those who care to look it up). He proposed based on some
work of Chladni that a certain set of partials - those he calls RIR,
which Lehr in his notation calls the class I partials - will all
change together as a set. These partials are the hum, the tierce,
the nominal, the superquint, the octave nominal and the higher
partials I call the strike partials. Robert's theory would suggest,
just as does Ben, that a sharp hum would lead to a sharp tierce.
Unfortunately the theory also would imply that flat upper partials
would also give rise to sharp hum and tierce, which is not usually
true (for example, the old G&J trebles at Kidderminster had true-
harmonic lower partials but very flat upper partials). More work
remains to be done, and Robert would like to think that bells can be
divided into classes, for each of which his theory is separately
true.

The Chladni / Perrin theory does not apply to primes and quints. As
will be seen above, the old Kidderminster tenor had a radically
sharp quint.

My recording of the old tenor is of it being rung up alone. I know
the joke about 'a bad eight spoilt', but the tenor would have
sounded tremendous swing-chimed in some continental tower.

Bill H