[Bell Historians] Re: Thurnham

davidhird_uk davidhird_uk at zhV_m72JWfDF184XPnoLkkHMQA1KJ2IvmMnFiChrp7BJWR4stUm7vY68i36zmwBdTEdulS11QgBbiKdy1MQ.yahoo.invalid
Fri Apr 27 20:39:52 BST 2007

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Bickerton, Roderic K \(SELEX\)
\(UK\)" <roderic.bickerton at ...> wrote:

> 2nded. Rang in 1980. They went well enough although they were loud
and not nice sounding.

> I was told they had ABS plastic wheel rims but did not see them. I
am surprised plastic wheel rims have not found favour as wheel rims
are often the first thing to fail, and would additionally benefit as
they could have less mass than wood.

They did indeed have plastic wheel rims made from plastic guttering
bent round the spokes and nailed or screwed in place. When we rang
there a long time ago, the floor under the bells was incomplete and
you could see the bells and the wheels a fair way up.