Early researchers (was early facsimiles)

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at gijrn1JTeKU7S10ZI7ezerryHUwsPyCL2F7hTjAaMqeX6-_cv152BdmNy74keKs92C9j8-q7M5lEcNO-ROKdYcSZYC6w.yahoo.invalid
Mon Aug 6 16:13:20 BST 2007

Sorry to see C.H. Hawkins denigrated by Neil. We all make mistakes, and Hawkins evidently made one at Rushall, but he was a good investigator. He did quite a bit in Suffolk and Hertfordshire, and his very careful rubbings are in the library of the Society of Antiquaries in London.  These are - helpfully for the historian interesting in making comparisons - grouped by founder and type, rather than by area or place. From his approach to the subject, I rather think he might have made better sense of some of the mediaeval founders than some of the researchers whose works were published - but the Hawkins material remained mostly unpublished

CP

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Neil Skelton
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, August 06, 2007 4:02 PM
  Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Early Facsimiles and other copies of Bell Ringing books.

  If you read the Foreword in HBW's Ch Bells of Wilts it does say 'During the past two or three years Mr Smith, in spite of the limited time at his disposal, has been indefatigable in scouring the county as far as he could reach, and has visited some 75 towers, including many troublesome climbs after inacessible bells'. I suppose if you take HBW at his word then there were, indeed, some bells Mr Smith did not reach!  At Rushall, HBW relied on a Mr. C.H.Hawkins who failed to observe, even if he got to the bells, that the Wallis tenor had been recast by Warner in 1872!

  To be fair, Jerram undertook a great deal of ground work himself and had a much better record of accuracy in what he recorded. His big mistake was rely on Lukis when he could not undertake a visit himself.

  Neil Skelton.