[Bell Historians] Stretch tuning

Bickerton, Roderic K (SELEX) (UK) roderic.bickerton at Xj6kp_ugbT_Y7lya2jDdpL433FXL3Abnz7GXjeT69zm0Y8UzMSzoOm7U9QvNfbpe9WuFcuRXho9_-c3JPri_h_v1mI8kQMEVhg.yahoo.invalid
Thu Dec 6 10:58:06 GMT 2007

Bill Hibbert's most interesting response, to me poses the question:
Why have thick trebles with all the tuning problems associated with a
variable casting scale?

Is it a matter of acoustic power?
Possibly but:
The days when the absolute maximum sound and carry from a peal of bells
was required are long passed, and a huge amount can be done with louver
design and bell chamber internal design to increase output, should it
ever be needed.

Is it sound balance?
Possibly but:
The sound output from a bell is governed by the amount of energy the
clapper imparts.
It is not that difficult to turn that down on larger bells, although I
appreciate it is more complex than simply fitting a smaller clapper,
because the dynamic of the way the energy is imparted must generate the
correct intensity from each partial.

Is it ringing dynamics
Possibly but:
Combinations of "hang out",  counter weight, wheel size and clapper
dynamics can enormously vary the dynamics, to give a small bell big bell
dynamics.
One only has to look at the improvement in mini rings to see that
demonstrated.

What other considerations are there?
Tradition?, Credibility, or something I have completely overlooked?

.