[Bell Historians] Steelwork into masonary

Alan Birney alanjbirney at U1J2E9OV4FG7nA0nNvWYnZbQDxZWLEapnRY0sJeWc-Mqi4WWPvQdRGu_eiIIzkhnYOB70FFNkbrAp0OccqLZlZ1AEg.yahoo.invalid
Fri Feb 23 13:31:00 GMT 2007

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Anne Willis" <zen16073 at ...>
wrote:

> My bosses are doing just that with a local architect who has got
the
> organisation into no end of trouble wrt planning permission.  He
is also our
> church architect and rather inefficient.  So far the parish has
not taken
> any action against him.
>

> AW

       At Barnoldswick, we have had two poor architects- the first
diagnosed settlement cracks as being caused by the swinging of the
bells. A later inpection by Adrian Dempster proved this theory wrong.

       The replacement architect, I invited on site to a meeting
with Taylors and the Bradford DAC Advisor, Ron crabtree. I knew this
architect was not knowledgeable as regards bells which is why I got
everyone on site at the same time. The architect wanted the new
supporting steelwork to float in the walls so that the ends had
ventilation!

       It took Jed Flatters, Ron Crabtree and myself some time to
explain why the supporting steelwork HAD to be fastened securely
into the walls and have anti drag cleats fitted.

        Makes you wonder how many parishes actually listen 100% to
the architects who don't have an understanding of such matters.

Alan