Steelwork into masonary

matthewhigby at a7DmJvvYprwEXfxmeqXgSMfDMA6LKI-R-Z83iKDGZ5ATR1EcsUiss6vx2XqhgzWX14G8QrX21ox0OoU.yahoo.invalid matthewhigby at a7DmJvvYprwEXfxmeqXgSMfDMA6LKI-R-Z83iKDGZ5ATR1EcsUiss6vx2XqhgzWX14G8QrX21ox0OoU.yahoo.invalid
Fri Feb 23 20:36:19 GMT 2007

Richard and Chris make some great points.

We have recently had similar trouble at Marshfield (South Glos). We removed
the existing installation in July and discovered that the offset (ledge) on
which the bellframe sat, was in a very poor state. the stonework looked great
from underneath, but when viewed from above, it was clear that the  offset was
in a state of collapse.

I got the architect involved at this stage, and described how our original
plan of cutting pockets, concrete padstones and casting the beams into position
 wasn't going to work!
I suggested removing the loose stonework and casting a concrete ring beam  on
top of the offset, casting the new bellframe foundation into position in the
process. The architect agreed in principal but suggested that we involve at
structural engineer - good suggestion I thought (at the time  anyway..........)

It turned out that the chosen structural engineer had no knowledge of  bells,
bellframes, forces involved etc, He was insistent that the bellframe  should
be rested on reclaimed sand stone padstones and built in using reclaimed
stone and lime mortar (Because that's the way that it's done in Churches). I
disagreed and said that this method would have insufficient strength to restrain
the bellframe. I was asked to supply some literature to back up my  claims.

It was at this point that I turned to this list for some help. I was hoping
to find a "code of practice" or similar, for building in steel bellframes to
tower walls etc. The only response I got was from Chris Povey (thanks for your
 help Chris), who told me that no such "official" literature exists.

Isn't it about time that the Central Council Towers and Belfries Committee
(perhaps with the backing of EH, SPAB etc) produced some guidelines for Church
Architects with regard to this??? If they did - perhaps cases like Kings
Lynn and Kelveden would never have happened.

I seem to remember seeing something, years ago, produced by Sir A P Haywood
along the lines of "Church Towers and Bellframes - an Appeal to Church
Architects" but haven't been able to find a copy since. I have no idea of the
content - but the title sounded good for a start!

After 3 more meetings at Marshfield, I eventually managed to convince the
Architect and Structural Engineer that the concrete ring beam was the way
forward. The bells are going back in a few weeks time, after a long struggle and  a
lot of wasted time.

Over to you CCCBR......

MRTH

I entirely agree with Chris.

My experience over many years is that  the bell hanger only discovers
after a contract has been sign and work  commenced just what a 'twat'
the church architect is. There, are of course  some excellent
architects, but oh boy did I come across some duffers in my  years as
a diocesan advisor.

Take the case of the architect who  decided that the foundation
grillage for a new bell frame was her  responsibility and installed a
set of totally unsuitable steelwork in the  tower without any
consultation with the bell foundry whatsoever. Imagine the
bellhanger's surprise when he turned up with a complete set of
steelwork  only to find that an apology for a foundation grillage was
already grouted  in just where he was supposed to put the real stuff!

I can think of many  other examples where an architect has totally
ruined a potentially good job  by insistence of inappropriate
actions ...and it is always the  bellfounder/actions ...and it is alway
blame!

Richard

Matthew Higby  & Co Ltd,
Church Bell Engineers.