[Bell Historians] Orange

Andrew Bull a_m_bull at JyypLjPtPKCQwNl-g9NMoLNl29dpgsjWw7ninCCV3FX_e-Ng4U9ceBhrGaNnocGlRVNX3Bl1U0341xKDgyeb.yahoo.invalid
Tue Jan 16 15:14:54 GMT 2007

As Chris Pickford is still in Aus, so presumably doesn’t have access to all his files, I’m sure he won’t mind if I quote this entry from his London file:

Croydon, St.James, Croydon Common   (Surrey)

Commissioners church (2nd Parliamentary grant) of 1827-8. R. Wallace, architect. Cost £6662. Gothic, with belfry. Chancel 1881 (Port pp.162-3)

“List of Bells made for new churches Built under the Act of Parliament” in Peals book, Whitechapel foundry records, lists: 1828 Croydon 1 [probably St.James]

Stahlschmidt “Surrey” (1884) p.150 - noted as district church of Croydon [no bell details given]

Rubbings in Tyssen Collection, Society of Antiquaries, “Surrey” Vol.I p.245: Bell (30½”) inscribed T. MEARS OF LONDON FECIT 1828. (border)

Croydon, St.James (Mission Church), East Croydon, Surrey: Daybook 31 Jan.1902 – a 15” bell supplied with clapper, wrought iron stock, iron lever, gunmetal bearings and rope. £8.5.0

Croydon Foundry records: recast bell for St.James, Croydon, 15 Nov.1907

1. Gillett & Johnston, 1907                   28½”    4-2-8 in D

Later at the Church of St Mary, Park Road, Sittingbourne (Kent). Removed by Matthew Higby for the Keltek Trust on 11 Feb 2003. The bell was cast by G&J in 1907, measures 28⅜” across the mouth and sounds the note D - 15 cents. The weight is still to be distinguished! The bell was hung at St James' Church, Croydon until about 20 years ago. It is inscribed: GILLETT & JOHNSTON FOUNDERS CROYDON. / PRESENTED BY W F EYLES 1907. / R E OLIVER M.A. VICAR AT JAMES CROYDON. /  W F EYLES ) / ARTHUR B CARPENTER ) / CHURCHWARDENS.

Andrew Bull

  _____