Cork St Nicholas

David & Mary Kelly keltek at J8J_MXPNZKix3JAaGhF8oV0XHLiCZJsTYfTmhnF-6MbMSV9ZQkfGdwDVg51l-Cc-CKYtjIAVjKQci507qA.yahoo.invalid
Sun Jun 3 15:00:14 BST 2007

I haven't responded on this subject before because we (Keltek Trust) have been having problems with our web site www.keltek.org and emails sent to bells at vWcDTz8680sOlAfKSC4gAufuFwgwYXs-I4UrO9MSw2NLTh5gkSeOXNXGYz6-DTJSESt5JfrbdTY.yahoo.invalid have not been getting through and this has been my main priority over the last few days. If anyone has sent us an email and not had a response then please re-send and copy it to keltek at c1IkJxJGbPONnT8YGLGzJlPv3IfgOBj2xXFScxnfvu5z9cp3RignXmlH0HQVd6pg11DxzNOs28sDVkWy3nI.yahoo.invalid

I understand that the Redundant Bells Committee had a mauling at Monday's CC meeting. I hope that this does not push the CCCBR Rescue Fund into making a hasty decision that it may later regret. In the past the RF has essentially loaned money to a receiving parish to secure a redundant ring of bells. While we have one or two places on our books that these bells might go to I suspect that they would not be suitable in their current form. At best they would need some significant tuning and this would be an additional cost on top of the £20K + VAT that has been mentioned.

The real problem is that the price of tin and copper has risen so much that it is now a major part of the cost of casting a bell. So if you were a parish considering installing a ring of bells where none already exist would you spend £20K on acquiring an interesting and historic ring of bells or would you spend the same amount on casting a much lighter True Harmonic tuned ring and have your own inscriptions cast on the bells?

Our trustees have to weigh up the pros and cons of any acquisition but at least we have the advantage that we can make a loss; the CCCBR Rescue Fund would have a lot of difficult questions to answer if it made a loss and this could happen if a buyer cannot be found and the price of raw materials falls.

Dave