[Bell Historians] Confidentiality

David Cawley dave at iRWxLbKSNO1qzhz8KzJuTjAELZUvj5dB5CpfXbisHc1ZuhrYMtF4PdDPdqFY-UZ5pAPJzBlU2rmta8dsw7tB3Oc.yahoo.invalid
Tue Jun 5 13:47:41 BST 2007

Yes, I did a detailed report on Layston bells for the CCC, and am glad to say that the results are incorporated in full in the revised Pastoral Measure Report (which is now in the public domain and can be obtained by writing to the CCC).

This is an unusual case in that the church has been a partial ruin since 1954, when the nave roof was removed. The chancel arch was closed by a screen. The tower left, and the floors etc not very safe.

The original notes were made as long ago as 1976 by Ranald Clouston, and were sumarised in the original report dated 6th February of that year. My own detailed notes were made 3rd September 2003 and published in the revised PM Report No. 653 (revised), dated 8th September 2003, of which Keltek and the CCCBR should have received copies. In this case my notes were repeated almost in full.

For the record, they are the back three of a derelict ring of five whose trebles were stolen c.1964. Ranald pitched the nominals as B+0.25, Bb-0.18 and G-0.50. Middle bell excessively sharpened by skirting and tenor by filing. 1&2 (old 3 & 4) by James Butler of Bishop's Stortford, both listed. Only five other bells by him. Tenor Pack & Chapman 1776.

I concluded my report with these words(omitted from the PM Report):
"There seems to be little long-term use for these bells; with the church in its present state and the bells in poor order, it is important to make a decision on their future." I suggested the trebles possibly as candidates for a museum.  Tenor worthy of a new home. Bell frame worthy of conservation in situ. "All should be treated with respect".

Copies of the PM Report will also have gone to the parish (Buntingford with Layston), the Diocese and to the Local Authority.

It is always easy to take a simplistic view and say, "It's going to be made redundant, let's get'em out." Remember that the Redundancy process is not merely a matter of declaring a church redundant. That simply removes the legal effects of consecration, including faculty jurisdiction. Subsequent work, such as removal of bells is subject both to ecclesiastical approval (as owners) and Local Authority planning consent. The proposals are put to the Diocese, and if approved are sent on to the Local Authority for consent. The second stage is to make a Redundancy Scheme providing for the Vesting of the Church in the CCT, a local Trust, alternative use, conversion or demolition. It is then that the future of major contents is largely decided. Very often a church is put on the market to "test the waters". If no sale or appropriate conversion or change of use can be found, suitable vesting arrangements have to be made; and those upon whom the responsibility falls do not look kindly upon cases where contents have been removed - even in this case the nave roof!

Presumably Rod has checked how things stand with the Diocesan Authorities. If not, that is the first thing to do. Then with the Diocesan Bells Adviser, who, one would hope, is intimately involved. Also with the Ringers' Association who may be pursuing legitimate channels. He may find it useful to check with Keltek and also with the CCCBR CfRB. Perhaps such checks might ease his puzzlement ...

DLC

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Bickerton, Roderic K (SELEX) (UK)
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 9:36 AM
  Subject: RE: [Bell Historians] Confidentiality

  The way these things are done is puzzling. An example is Layston Herts. where all is not finalised, yet Rumble and Edwards, estate agents of St Albans have the church on there  books. 2 of the 3 bells in this tower are of historic importance.
  (I still need to do more on this.)

    a..  1New Members
  Visit Your Group
    a.. Bells are ringing