Upper partials (was Berlin Freedom Bell)

Bill Hibbert bill at b04i2RMvrN_TbCkcruI6OHbLYbmqvKsgZVL75QCvu-KrJGcg2nukx3TPa5HM4FyQ05icMzaJLL40sg.yahoo.invalid
Sun Jun 24 09:01:32 BST 2007

I have now found a better recording of this bell (less birdsong, more
bell!) and it matches the G&J tuning figures; I was wrong to doubt
their forks. The hum is 46 cents flat and the prime 33 cents flat.

RO:
> I well remember Wally Spragett telling me of his adventures tuning
this bell ... would have been a rather expensive mistake had the bell
needed recasting like the Wannermaker Bell a few decades earlier!

Richard, you should write your memories down, they are a fascinating
insight into the historic activities of bellfounders.

> It was one of G & J's early ventures into serious upper
partial tuning

I have just completed an analysis of the upper partials of 1,800+
bells. For bells of 'western' shape it proves conclusively that the
frequencies of all the 'rim' partials above the nominal (that create
the strike note and determine the timbre of the bell) are related, so
that tuning one tunes them all. André Lehr was aware of the link
between superquint and octave nominal, but the relationship between the
rest of the partials is I think a new discovery. It holds across
casting dates spanning 750 years and nominals spanning five octaves.
Remarkably, steel bells also fit the model exactly; the analysis shows
that Naylor Vickers bells are far too thin and that had they been cast
to the same thickness as bronze bells they would have sounded like them.

The set of three minor partials between nominal and superquint can be
tuned independently (their effect on timbre is limited) but the major
partials above the nominal can't be seperately tuned; sadly Wally was
on a wild-goose chase.

Bill H