[Bell Historians] Eastry Sanctus Bell

davidhird_uk davidhird_uk at Q3PM71bvvDP-XqxJryI22pASMAhoJFq_9FCDupjAddGuxYy2g-ZrrrkzISPmxTznaEF_CayzK8ym_vMiiSiUhFo.yahoo.invalid
Wed Mar 21 09:04:13 GMT 2007

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Richard Offen"
<richard.offen at ...> wrote:

> Ha ha!
>
> Quite true.   In fairness, they were a very uninspiring eight
before
> tuning commenced (I know, I rang loads of peals on them) and were
> even worse after!
>
> The bell I referred to was brand new and was a vicitm of having
been
> cast at a time when its founders were not producing a product
which,
> in my opinion, can hold a candle to bells that firm had produced
> previously, or since.   Eastry were never a well tuned five and
> sounded even worse after the old, cracked fourth was replaced!
>
> Clearly the mid-70s was not a good period for SOME bell tuning!

I can think of 2 other examples of how tuning new bells in old style
to fit the others failed. Melbourn & Masham. Clanking buckets.