[Bell Historians] Eastry Sanctus Bell

Richard Offen richard.offen at FsP3Flzrudg4Dy1vCcQOqOiVEQ34LmKxBYQlYGt7Vu0-gQ_c8tr3s2L6SBa9zlwgyG8jO680k7lwK17C1sAlM7VvgQ.yahoo.invalid
Thu Mar 22 14:31:07 GMT 2007

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Cawley" <dave at ...>
wrote:

> Some of this seems to be from an off-list exchange; or did I again
miss it?

> Gosh there are some howlers in these remarks about Eastry, not
least of which is the remark about the replacement of "the old
cracked fourth". It was the cracked third which was replaced. The
fourth isn't cracked. The old third was found to be cracked by
Taylors in 1934. In 1967 they put the bells on ball-bearings, noting
again the crack. The bell was replaced in 1975 after quite an
extended correspondence between Alan Berry, Nick Davies, myself, the
DAC and the parish (and Taylors). The foundry's philistine option of
recasting one of only four bells by Henry Wilnar of Borden gave way
to replacement. The bell was given as a memorial and hung on the
Bowell fittings of its predecessor. The odd thing is that JT&Co, when
estimating for recasting, slagged off the welding option, amongst
other things, because the cracked bell was "deficient in weight and
thickness". And the new bell is 2 1/2" inches SMALLER and no doubt
around 2-cwt lighter than the "deficient" bell!

> True they are not a well-tuned five, the two Taylor bells (treble &
new 3rd) being as much as 19# and 21# in respect of the tenor.
Neither is an old style bell (as has been said of the new 3rd) and I
will produce statements in support of that in my next posting. But
they sound impressive enough if not inspiring, not least when you
ring the tenor through a peal as I did on June 1st 1968. The St
Simon's was not fun.

> DLC

My apologies for referring to the fourth at Eastry, I meant the
third - it was late at night when I posted my communication!

I entirely agree with David that the treble is an excellent bell (as
one would expect from a 1902 Taylor bell), but the third!   Is it
really a true-harmonic bell?   My memory must be even worse than I
thought!   I remember that we were singularly unimpressed when we
(the KCACR bell hanging team) hung the new bell and tried the
refashioned five out!