[Bell Historians] Re: Conservationists

Robert Lewis editor at YUHJd7p_Whgdg31OesKvRp5H5qsI-bjlhiYZCee6J-JSzGqWbRYBSKRSqX6D6CI6T4xufI4veOOiATCIhf5uHV0.yahoo.invalid
Mon May 21 11:09:19 BST 2007

At 00:45 19/05/2007, Richard Offen wrote:
>Here in Australia we have a tendency to `over-restoration'.   For
>example, an historic brewery in Perth was restored a few years ago to
>the extent that it now looks like a completely new building!
>
>One day common sense will hopefully prevail!

An interesting conundrum - when does "restoration" turn into
"replication".  It will be interesting to see what they decide to do
with the burnt-out wreck of the Cutty Sark.

At least with a "re-cast" ring of bells there are no illusions about
it being anything other than a brand new instrument.

RAL