[Bell Historians] French clocks.

Bickerton, Roderic K (SELEX) (UK) roderic.bickerton at DGt0LUT8wldVfNIrv0lIlJWR7VJ5oSH3VkmkEtb_MhYqamE1z5RzatS-WzniKVURCMGvYcvds8YKiJ5oMwaLoV-hSiQwU5XMQyw.yahoo.invalid
Tue Oct 30 11:09:00 GMT 2007

It is a weight driven clock so what connection between the height of the weights and the speed? Might I suggest it could even be faster low down because of the contribution from the weight of the extra deployed winding cable.

________________________________

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Mike Chester
Sent: 30 October 2007 09:35
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] French clocks.

*** WARNING ***

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com <mailto:bellhistorians%40yahoogroups.com> , Frank King <Frank.King at ...>
wrote:
> A well-known English example is the clock of
> Great Court in Trinity College, Cambridge.
> This is well known because of the associated
> challenge: Can you run round Great Court in
> less time than it takes the clock to chime
> and strike 12? You are allowed to include
> both lots of striking.

A 19 year old student, Sam Dobbin made it round in time on 20th
October. Only the 3rd person to do so, apparently. You have 43 seconds
to do 367 metres. The other two were enobled and were Olympians! Seb
Coe was only said to "beat the clock" because he dipped under 43
seconds. However, they had wound the clock the previous day and it
went a bit quicker than it might otherwise have chimed and he did not
quite beat the final "bong"!

Mike

SELEX Sensors and Airborne Systems Limited
Registered Office: Sigma House, Christopher Martin Road, Basildon, Essex SS14 3EL
A company registered in England & Wales.  Company no. 02426132