[Bell Historians] 16th and 17th century tuning

billy_clarke03 billy_clarke03 at 0tiRhEZpfCAAx_3nDP-r59JUclv0T_6Zh2AWUP3plOkuhglpDG_rFlA7Z4r52co-wQObN21P56hLfksvi2Ac0YE.yahoo.invalid
Tue Aug 12 14:29:44 BST 2008

I believe an example of 17th century tuning may be found at
St.Mary's Church, Blessington, Co.Wicklow (~14cwt ring of 6 by
J.Bartlett 1683).

Six bells of the former ring of 8 at St.Patricks Cathedral, Dublin
were re-distributed to different churches around the country when
the new 45cwt 10 was installed in 1897. The original 3rd and Tenor
still remain in the tower, but I know that Charlie Reede went and
got individual recordings of the other 6 bells.  He then had somebody
edit the recordings to arrange them in 'rounds' to hear what the old
8 might have sounded like.  Don't know if they had been re-tuned (I
believe some were recast) but the original 8 were by Perdue (1670).

Billy

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Chris Pickford"
<c.j.pickford.t21 at ...> wrote:

> Nothing significant to contribute on this issue, but I think two
points are worth making:

> 1. There are now very few surviving examples of sets of bells that
have not been retuned (and in the case of old scratch tuning and
edging we don't actually know when this was done).

> 2. Before the conservation extremists say "told you so - we should
never have allowed tuning" - we should remember that within the
bellfounders archives of at least three of the main firms, there are
detailed records of the pitches and tuning of bells prior to
retuning or recasting.

> In other words, the bells themselves may have been recast or
altered, BUT if someone really wanted to do a serious study on this,
some potentially useful stuff does exist. I imagine that access to
the relevant foundry records could be negotiated for such a purpose