W. L. Bowles on tuning church bells - Bremhill

Ken Webb kenwebb at 5oJufXyvpytjOmgxl-GghiEBjj4EgZdIayOdqxucChmCyn4QKBeqMyL8wpi2lBVvV0ViXAXH7TrLzv2aKiiYweN_QX_uY-AMuxpRdKo-xg.yahoo.invalid
Tue Aug 12 22:40:22 BST 2008

Firstly, I declare an interest. I was taught to ring at Bremhill in 1970 & still ring there weekly. I initiated & completed a scheme to improve the ring - go, sound, removal of cast in staples etc. This followed analysis by a number of very helpful & competent bell hangers & bell tuners - all stated the bells were very out of tune compared to any modern scale.

I was brought up with the sound of Bremhill bells & they sounded fine to me -partially helped by a meaty 6 in a good tower. They did not sound so fine to those with a better ear. The 4th was replaced in 1770 & the 2nd in 1826. So Billy Bowles, whose residence was the nearest property to the tower, left that legacy - the bells were not brought into tune until 2001 & the 1826 2nd was far too flat - forcing the other bells to be tuned down. The tenor went from an actual 19.1.11 in F to 17.2.5 in E.

I've not heard anything but praise for the sound of the bells following the tuning in 2001 & I've no regrets over initiating a project which changed their sound. Hard to see how a chap with a chipping hammer could match an expert with a lathe.

All the details, before & after recordings & analysis by Bill Hibbert are on his website - Bill was a very welcome get at the re-dedication service.

I'm pleased that Chris Dalton had the opportunity to re-visit the belfry after tuning - on 13/2/03 he wrote : I am planning to give the list of pitches for Bremhill, especially in view of the staggeringly successful transformation brought about by the tuner. The draft entry by CD for Bremhill includes: As a ring, these bells sounded cheerless & somewhat out of tune - in particular the 2nd was flat - with an especially mournful sounding tenor. ..... A vast improvement was made in 2001.

( I've removed the name of the tuner - although he & all the professionals involved deserve great credit for all aspects of their work - the same team brought about another transformation at Hilmarton in 2005)

Billy Bowles was not rated as a poet & I think his ear was probably worse than mine! It is possible that the words were written before the 1826 replacement bell arrived - one of the last bells from Aldbourne. I suggest most rings of bells heard by Billy Bowles didn't match the quality we find in most churches today - probably 90% sound better today?

Regards

Ken Webb