[Bell Historians] GSM Cambridge and stretch tuning

Sam Austin sam0austin at pQM5lxgwz7QdPw8KYiEOEZIudS9Dsy5NYklH5rzBkeBu4FUU9l6PTDYVmB0MBjPcw4MPuWhI04ka4iP5ZN03zQ.yahoo.invalid
Mon Dec 8 13:46:23 GMT 2008

I'll be brave and say that I like stretch tuning.

When I worked at Symphony Hall, B'ham, the violins always tuned sharp. This
was to ensure a brighter and more exciting sound. The same goes for choirs,
I always get my sopranos to sing sharper for a clearer and more successful
blend.
Pier Head bells sound stretched to me (I may be wrong), the trebles are
crystal clear amongst the back bells and I like them, they 'fizz' and
'bubble' when ringing the 12.  2 and 9 do beat with each other when ringing
the middle 8 but apart from that there seems to be no problem.

Until now I was unaware that Bill Hibbert's thesis was available online, I
shall read with interest, especially as I have to submit my PhD proposal
soon.

Aye

Sam