[Bell Historians] Big Ben

Stephen Ivin s.ivin at a3B2FjV0L0aimh3Ajs40o3e2bNMVYh_EjYrrGXcytxWt2W-PnClwA_HGHrYrohESsRphLAaTeyNU-37gryOaDw.yahoo.invalid
Sat Jan 19 08:01:26 GMT 2008

David, I think you should perhaps re-read the Denison account in C, W &
B 4th edn. Denison gives 8' 6" as the shaft width, you said 8' 2" in
2002, which even so would probably have been OK for 7' 10.5" height....

The reduction in size for the Mears bell was to correct the pitch to
match the now cast quarter bells, as much as anything.

Steve