[Bell Historians] From Essex to New Hampshire.

Philip Denton philip_denton at MnJIvMZtg6rRV-sqWzLVGtwCL-2O1PFcaQ__skaoAjvR_n9C8SpWgVVEubeoZ5SP8aWRX3lZbnbGyL1IPKp1jsc.yahoo.invalid
Wed Jul 9 22:23:24 BST 2008

There is another one at Wix, also in Essex and close to Wrabness. I haven't seen it recently - I gather it is a modern (1975) rebuilding of the original C17 structure.

Philip

--- On Wed, 9/7/08, Ted Steele <ted.steele at mFJb1sxTCKK5j8w7tqFTvytqHf0tFThMy90Xl7fZEino88EWwXtzDTLXez7Y3oGjBdhLt6lhafPu-Q.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
From: Ted Steele <ted.steele at mFJb1sxTCKK5j8w7tqFTvytqHf0tFThMy90Xl7fZEino88EWwXtzDTLXez7Y3oGjBdhLt6lhafPu-Q.yahoo.invalid>
Subject: [Bell Historians] From Essex to New Hampshire.
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, 9 July, 2008, 9:33 PM

            I was browsing on the photographic website, "flickr" and came across

these pictures which may be of interest. I expect the bells to be well

known amongst historians but I was surprised to find that East Bergholt

is not the only church with a wooden bell cage in the churchyard.

Admittedly the one at Wrabness, Essex contains only one bell but it

makes me wonder whether there may be still further examples of such

cages. Does anyone on the list know? There is a link to a picture of the

East Bergholt cage for comparison which shows clearly that the cages

have rather little in common and are of very different ages. However

there is only about ten miles between the two villages. Is there perhaps

a local tradition of such cages?

The bell in Keene, NH seems to have hung for some years in the Baptist

church but it is unclear whether it is still in use somewhere else now.

It was the reference to its being cast by Paul revere of Boston that

drew me to this, as he has been mentioned recently on the list.

<http://www.flickr. com/photos/ keenepubliclibra ry/2590389228/>

<http://www.flickr. com/photos/ hornbeam/ 1424108950/>

<http://www.flickr. com/photos/ hornbeam/ 1424117972/ in/photostream/>

<http://www.flickr. com/photos/ dws/7506769/>

Browsing for "bells, churches" brings up a huge number of pictures of

which I have checked just a few pages.

Ted