Horton, Glos - sudden death of Rev Dr Gordon Edwards on 15th March

Ken Webb kenwebb at yphqjydYmZAlX5FTgmL7RIQQF4pUImbNvcH9UdkON2PgHVpwqX1JRj6yQBoZYh6nr3XT4mF6nc86svCNTlgW7hx3nuRHpYayVyxrFDaZ1A.yahoo.invalid
Thu Mar 20 23:44:06 GMT 2008

Dear All

Following the messages re Rev Dr Edwards leading the project at Horton.

a) I had a phone discussions with him last year & I emailed some info - he was trying to raise funds from HLF & interested in our success at Hilmarton. He gave every indication that he wanted a proper long lasting job & for the bells to be rung frequently.

b) I'm very sad to state that the local paper published today annouced his sudden death on 15th March aged 74. So the chap died just before the e-mails referring to him. RIP.

c) The notice states: Funeral at Sherston Church, 25th March at 4pm donations for The Bell & Improvement Account (In aid of Horton Church Improvement Appeal). .

d) Looks like it might be a good opportunity for someone in the local branch who has dedication & ability to get actively involved in leading  1) the project, 2) the teaching & 3) regular ringing. It is not quite so easy to do as to observe & criticise!

Ken Webb

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: matthewhigby at 434XUIWJkEGQR093mN7OhmrnASYGnr1rrQshoJqoK74Wrdf6tc2DGj_sYXRQGlMVSoX07o3OTwtmZJcvhaY.yahoo.invalid
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2008 5:51 PM
  Subject: RE: [Bell Historians] Bell frame for sale (of no practical use)

  Dear All,

  I feel it is a shame that Andrew has burst into a "rant" about this project, when he obviously doesn't know the facts of the situation, particularly regarding the professional side of things.

  .......... Rev Dr Gordon Edwards has worked very hard on getting this project through, and has taken things as far as the Consitury Court.

  I feel that it is a great shame that the Wootton branch are not 100% behind this scheme. It is a good one that has been well thought through (over a period of about 5 years). The Horton PCC have gone the extra mile to take on the heritage bodies head to head, and have come out on top. Its a shame that other PCC's don't have the guts to follow things through just as Horton have. Currently the likes of EH and SPAB are trying to get away with keeping rubbish - I wonder if Dr Edwards would like to move to Great Malvern when he retires!

  MRTH