[Bell Historians] W & T Mears 1791 bankruptcy ??

David Sloman david at v6Enjsup02xBWaCZQLlKBqmgQwPYbpDi7xMiTrFZRyK75XfXxVyr73sOz49TPdlEp1K7LC5zOU6JH4KFmTiB2pKxxnj98iSa.yahoo.invalid
Fri Oct 3 15:42:50 BST 2008

This bankruptcy may have had something to do with the death of William Mears in 1791. The previous ten years seemed to have been troublous times for London bellfounders.

Deedes & Walters Church Bells of Essex record under East Ham St. Mary Magdalene that some cracked bells had been sent to Patrick & Osborn in 1784 but the churchwarden was unable to get any money for the metal as the founders had gone bankrupt.

However 1791 seems to be the turning point as Thomas and his son must have cast in excess of 4000 bells in the next 50 or so years.

DS

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Brian Meldon
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, October 03, 2008 1:59 PM
  Subject: [Bell Historians] W & T Mears 1791 bankruptcy ??

  While researching the documents at the Essex Records office in regard
  to Canewdon's bells I have come across the following document:

  D/P 18/6/2
  1791
  Correspondence from assignees in bankruptcy of W. & T. Mears,
  bellfounders, of Whitechapel, with account of charges for new bell.

  The 4th bell at Canewdon was cast in 1791 by T. Mears; I have yet to
  look at the two letters in this document but were they really in
  bankruptcy at that time?

  Brian Meldon