[Bell Historians] Re: Minsters

Andrew Cairns andrew.cairns at ArNMVZbS_23qgL_q_FFQb9aKvb4SDP5CXPpWsy0Go4XlgMDt5EjF4yBIfsJ4Nd64BdIXoscN3ajvFtJ6znIwHvs.yahoo.invalid
Fri Oct 10 21:37:39 BST 2008

There are a variety of reasons for the modern creation of Minster Parishes.
Sunderland followed the town gaining City status and a local demand for a
"Cathedral" not really understanding what that would entail. Thus they were
given a Minster instead. In other places the idea of Minster churches has
been introduced to reflect the grouping of city churches with, in effect,
centralised clergy. This rationale was mooted in Nottingham during the
merger of All Saints, St Peters and St Marys parishes but failed to be
adopted.

Andrew

  _____

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of John H Allen
Sent: 10 October 2008 21:21
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] Re: Minsters

Diocesan Bishops now have the power to designate any church as a minister.
Stoke on Trent St. Peter is now a Minister. The Diocese of Lichfield is
divided into 3 Episcopal areas and the designation of Stoke as a Minister is
perhaps to give some from of recognition to that Area.  In my view it is a
sop to locals who feel neglected with the Mother church some 30 miles away.

I agree with David that the physical isolation of Doncaster St. George in
the town centre makes it a very odd choice for a Minster.

John