[Bell Historians] Re: Minsters

David Cawley dave at v61IYcRCHtVubrWtaB-ZvPY-Ba-Ll8TL9rq-pj7w2KKiZw2GMduFflERDeqjAXQRlNBUOCyeY_-qBRcPAgoYAI4LmGM.yahoo.invalid
Fri Oct 10 22:05:52 BST 2008

Some Cathedrals have used the Minster title, for example York, also (sometimes)  Lincoln, as do some more recent created Cathedrals e.g. Southwell (always) and Ripon (sometimes) and some ancient Parish Churches, e. g. Howden and Beverley St John whose churches were centres of ministry to large groups of parishes. It remained really a title of custom, or of honour, until quite recently when the "Minster Model" became a sort of buzz-word in certain areas of pastoral ministry - hence Rotherham Minster, Sunderland Minster, Preston Minster.

Here, we remain Collegiate :)

DLC

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: John H Allen
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, October 10, 2008 9:20 PM
  Subject: [Bell Historians] Re: Minsters

  Diocesan Bishops now have the power to designate any church as a minister. Stoke on Trent St. Peter is now a Minister. The Diocese of Lichfield is divided into 3 Episcopal areas and the designation of Stoke as a Minister is perhaps to give some from of recognition to that Area.  In my view it is a sop to locals who feel neglected with the Mother church some 30 miles away.

  I agree with David that the physical isolation of Doncaster St. George in the town centre makes it a very odd choice for a Minster.

  John