Gotenba (was Riverside) and other big bells

Bill Hibbert bill at IGVmcfJXvDiUaBQnqBtzRmCJBgKWUewVitYNFpFXxfAs-Foi1rL9mbr7jsvwJ7_Nd5SgDB4PZiXwgRZD.yahoo.invalid
Sat Oct 11 20:53:14 BST 2008

The tuning figures for Gotenba (from the Youtube video) are 50.4,
100.9, 121.65, 143.95, 202.75, 303.8, 420.15. For a bell that has not
been tuned, the hum, prime and nominal are remarkably close to true-
harmonic. Of course, with hum and prime frequencies this low there is
no point in tuning them as the ear is unable to discriminate pitch at
these frequencies. We discussed this a few weeks ago, someone made
the point that 32' and 64' organ pipes need to be tuned; the
difference being that organ pipes have harmonic partials giving a
pitch sensation even at such low fundamental frequencies.

The problem with Gotenba, the Newport bell and others of similar size
is that the partials are so low that there is no series of rim
partials capable of forming a strike pitch. Therefore, these big
bells have no 'note' that we will all agree on, not even a secondary
strike, and the sound is dominated by a confused mass of inharmonic
upper partials. There's nothing a tuner can do about this, it's a
consequence of the way our ears work. At this sort of weight, one can
get a powerful effect, but not a harmonious one. Maria Dolens at
Rovereto (22.6t, nominal of 250Hz) is a borderline case - it growls
and grumbles but has (to my ears) clear primary and secondary strike
pitches.

Regarding slightly lighter bells that do have a musical sound, no-one
has yet mentioned 'Fat Peter' at Cologne: nominal of 252Hz (slightly
lower than Riverside), not quite true harmonic (but that doesn't
matter for the reason given above), and quite a grand-sounding,
tuneful bell to my ears. An important characteristic of this bell
(and of Gloriosa at Erfurt as well) is a sharp tierce combined with a
flat I-7 partial (the so-called high fourth). This gives these bells
a secondary strike which is almost a major third rather than a
fourth, and which sounds well against the tierce which is also near a
major third (but from the other direction).

>From the sublime to the other; the bell in the Moscow Kremlin said to
be 65 tonnes has almost the same nominal as Gotenba (204.4Hz) but is
almost double the weight. It doesn't sound any better for the extra
metal.

Bill H