Re: [Bell Historians] Fw: service for the raising of a bell

Dickon Love dickon at 7uDcqJH5JopPEcpXu8lgnlqHBU9Qwzx_fDOD3AsaPkBHaRg9muNyf67wfz0b6H_o4ebfH5ZmB5hRDjQ.yahoo.invalid
Mon Oct 13 15:28:46 BST 2008

I assume that we are talking about a service to rededicate the bell.  There is no formal order of service in either the Anglican or Catholic churches, but a number have been devised.  Like all these things, the ritual can be at either end of the churchmanship scale, from merely a few prayers to dedicate the use of the bell, to a full blown baptism using holy water mixed with salt, holy oil and prayers of exorcism to help the bell clear the evil influences from the air - "the phantoms, the storms and the lightning which threaten the peace of devout Christians who come to the church to sing the praises of God...".

Guess which flavour of dedication service has been occupying my interest lately. :)

DrL