[Bell Historians] An Enquiry

Alan Buswell aaj.buswell at TWagc3UxCr_q1N-lQc_tAzLPDVp3ww2M0uxef-Ezl-JbN50mx2Hg21e1ju9YQ2DqKusJpDqU1FQOUFZ00PwSQ4s_RYjc.yahoo.invalid
Mon Sep 29 11:03:15 BST 2008

Is the royal cypher ER cast into the bell or engraved? If engraved, it could have been placed on the bell any time after a bell was cast and on to any (stock) bell .
Alan Buswell.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Robert Lewis
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2008 11:33 PM
  Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] An Enquiry

  At 10:19 27/09/2008, Alan wrote:

    In G&J Tuning Book Volume 9 p87 there is a bell, Serial No. 4466 for Croydon Fire Brigade. Croydon is (was) in Surrey hence SCC. (Surrey County Council). It appears to be recast for some reason, is 10 1/16ins in diameter weighing 1qr 6lbs with a note of A$ 1862hz and cast on 23 Feb 1932.
    Is this the bell refered to?

  It has seems to have a royal cypher (ER and a crown) - that would make it either much earlier or later than 1932. My guess is later - 1950s?

  The cypher would also suggest that it was not manufactured for a private company. Incidentally, there is a similar bell for sale at the moment at an architectural salvage yard in Hungerford and I have seen others.

  RAL