[Bell Historians] Out of Tune. - more info.

Charles Lucy lucy at F6iliiiktMr6qsVr3EuM02e1R7hlLtIZZ6E7H1iee2tooZe23DHdaXGbCS53rgtAgXPQOX5o2vo.yahoo.invalid
Mon Aug 10 15:04:10 BST 2009

This edition of More Or Less can be heard at link from:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/more_or_less/1628489.stm

or on iPlayer from here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/more_or_less

The idea in question was the Pythagorean comma.

This paradox has been explored exhaustively over the centuries without
much progress, although John 'Longitude' Harrison had a novel approach
to tuning, which (to my mind) resolves it.

Harrison based his tuning on pi, and wrote a manuscript in the 1770's,
at the end of his life, explaining how to to solve it and also a
description of how to manufacture bell which would be in tune.

More details here:

http://www.lucytune.com/academic/manuscript_search.html

On 10 Aug 2009, at 12:25, Alan Buswell wrote:

> No one seems to have commented on a Radio 4 programme 'More or Less'
> broadcast last Friday (7th) at 1.30pm(FM). In it was an aritcle as
> to why some instruments seemed out of tune, especially in the higher
> registers. Examples and calculations were given. Could this be the
> explanation for 'stretched' ring of 12s or higher number of bells?
> I believe one can hear broadcasts again somewhere.
>
> Alan Buswell

Charles Lucy
lucy at 8QQ9qVKKaBoymnPw1CGAahnpLq_SjhpAXvVJVJs0AbxPpnhmF1HTBqpeY_5jYYjmEaYLYH2m_Wojd94.yahoo.invalid

- Promoting global harmony through LucyTuning -

for information on LucyTuning go to:
http://www.lucytune.com

For LucyTuned Lullabies go to:
http://www.lullabies.co.uk