[Bell Historians] Cornhill, was Trafalgar Square old & new

Richard Offen richard.offen at cETbkWEcWIxVqSz2Wba_7VzGqzyMFgiARcPm5ICznw7wtqPc6txKRASF-yvWLWbCMSrOcszX7jjqLumQynGjVxI.yahoo.invalid
Tue Mar 10 21:19:05 GMT 2009

It remains to be seen if reducing the tenor by about half a ton makes any
difference to the amount of tower movement at Cornhill.

It will be a sad day when the only rings of twelve we have are all
true-harmonic (fairly unlikely I know, but we are going in that direction),
we shall have lost an important link with the history of change ringing
...thank goodness the Swan Bells aren't going anywhere!

I think that at Cornhill there's also issues about the suitability of

the current ring for the tower. They're somewhat crammed-in on two

tiers, and if memory serves I think the tower rocked about somewhat. But

I see Rod's point about "interesting" and "different" twelves being

replaced with identikit modern rings.

Andrew Bull