[Bell Historians] Cornhill, was Trafalgar Square old & new

Michael Wilby michael.wilby at aGhcsPzZWKbPPtki8qAeCNinXK9Nj7EakmsVvAPTAjiX0D4K7W8k6vCOS1tnCRfIilQ8IHsgB87xwhMxH0jZ.yahoo.invalid
Tue Mar 10 22:16:29 GMT 2009

This is all rather silly.  Cornhill are a poor example of an old-style ring - take a look at them: they're mainly 20th century - much that is "old" about them has long gone.  It's a completely different situation to St Martin-in-the-Fields which were an historic ring, partially tuned and poorly clappered (and now very good at Swan).

In practical terms Cornhill bells are too big for the tower: they require a two tier frame (5 on 7) so low down that the intermediate chamber is inadequate for sound balancing.  Best to start again with a better plan.

And if you want old-style go to St Paul's, St Sepulchre's or Southwark - all much finer in those terms, and enjoyed by many.  Let Cornhill have the decent ring it has never had.