[Bell Historians] Re: Telegraph letter

Charles Lucy lucy at XzikyjvDao75xXPag04pmUVOMfcLQlJeo_bsqTmPB3SfNZG5Jwk1szCRN4onP0d5K1zl6myNbklotQ.yahoo.invalid
Wed Oct 14 11:57:34 BST 2009

Yes.

The peal should be tuned as John Harrison described using the meantone-
type tuning derived from pi, which he advocated.

Harrison also wrote about the methods of manufacturing bells, and
provided his radical numbers figures, which are yet to be understood.

see:

http://www.lucytune.com/academic/manuscript_search.html

Any further insights would be appreciated;-)

and this page for the frequencies, intervals and tuning details:

http://www.lucytune.com/new_to_lt/pitch_02.html

On 13 Oct 2009, at 20:57, matthewhigby at OJ-JdwmgU4Ha9UCMGOLe39gnNsLpA4gjyBHtDyivC1iak0scmYC8E_mWuqminIvPeZYEfZlTKOoAFrgE.yahoo.invalid wrote:

> Could Mr Lucy explain to this list, exactly how a bell/peal of bells
> should be tuned? As far as I can tell, he appears to have very
> different ideas to most of us!
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Matthew Higby
> www.bell-hangers.com
> Indeed the instruments should be in tune. But what is "in tune"????
>
> It seems that some individuals on this list took exception to our
> bidding to take over Taylors and intervened with the administrators
> who failed to provide us with the bid information despite my having
> signed a confidentiality agreement, to which I conformed.
>
> It looks to me as though your spoilers may well have shot themselves
> in their feet.
>
> It seems to me that the way in which the bell business/industry was
> run and maintained requires entirely new business, engineering and
> tuning models:
>
> a) The business model to provide capital investment, even out the
> cash flows and overcome the "feast and famine" patterns.
> The new model also needs to force the presently destructively
> competing vested interests to coincide.
>
> b) The engineering "improvements" to need make productive use of
> "21st century" engineering, technological, techniques and solutions.
>
> c) The tuning model has to acknowledge that bells are "out of tune"
> individually, and particularly in their tuning relationship to other
> members of their "often celebrated" peals.
>
> Whoever eventually acquire the Taylor assets will need to seriously
> rethink the whole bells industry, if the "heritage" is to continue
> for future generations to enjoy.
>
> I shall continue to take opportunities to influence the tuning of
> bells, yet it may be by less obvious and public means. Time will tell.
>
> In the meantime, we shall continue to change the rest of the world's
> musical tuning by working with musicians, and other parts of the
> music industry.
>
> I am confident that eventually those tuning the bells (at least
> those that remain) will understand and use our findings.

Charles Lucy
lucy at W9FUrtp0393CArO6tszzcaLeMf2P5FXVpZ8cjzzxEEQv_3ojQjOPEdePKcWjM259jK3I1X_9au4h.yahoo.invalid