[Bell Historians] Re: Levels of Bell Production

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at xDasRercniuuofLn3pc15zCZVWbKR1DrA_dMHBg--t3ScluQZ4QObE6pA06cWGNtgnIWNp4a1jjxKLKk02uiiSjh1y79.yahoo.invalid
Sat Oct 17 15:22:20 BST 2009

Interesting, Richard. Your graph actually proves my point, since I was really thinking of the difference between the tonnage in the 1920s/30s and 1950s as periods of high output, and the recent decades as being lower overall. That seems to be what your graph shows - with the very obvious dips for the War years when, of course, founding capacity turned to munitions work (and probably greatly increased output).

This is, of course, just ringing bells. To take the bigger picture, carillon work by UK founders will have led to quite a significant increase in bells numerically (but not in tonnage terms) since the 1920s. Similarly with light(ish) chimes, which were made in quite large numbers in the 1930s to 1960s.

CP