[Bell Historians] Harrison's tuning

Charles Lucy lucy at GxtcMrwG70WnRm2zPd3J6AFfN8zptPZ1OsQkxb5FaqCuV3nl3Y9dVdYSwu7sFsew50VjRojvRbpehw.yahoo.invalid
Sun Sep 20 18:43:04 BST 2009

Thank you for your email Bill;

I appreciate what you are saying, nevertheless, from past experience
with John Harrison's ideas,

I am convinced that his writings on bell manufacturing and design
merit closer examination.

I have yet to be clear about your differences of "pitch and frequency".

Agreed; chosen tuning systems are subjective and influenced by
fashion, although it seems to me that the beat frequencies may hold
the "key" to some of  the apparent paradoxes.

I have been in contact with a number of people who are interested in
Taylor's and will be looking at the practicalities over the next few
days.

I look forward to exchanging ideas with you in the near future.

best wishes

On 20 Sep 2009, at 17:04, oakcroft13 wrote:

> Charles Lucy:
>
> > the perfect opportunity to retune all the major Western bells to
> John Harrison's specs, using his methods of course
>
> I have been meaning to send a reply to your previous messages for a
> few weeks but have been busy on other things :-(. I won't post a
> detailed response here - established list members will roll their
> eyes and say 'not again'! - but will send you a private message with
> a detailed response. In summary:
> * in bells, unlike almost all other musical instruments, the higher
> partials cannot be used to provide clues as to correct tuning of
> fundamentals
> * as a result, pitch judgement in bells (e.g. the answer to the
> question 'are these bells exactly in tune with each other') is to
> some extent a cultural rather than a scientific question - our
> choice of preferred temperament is a question of taste
> * there is a very important distinction to be drawn between pitch
> (the note assigned by our aural system) and frequency (what we
> measure with instruments)
> * due to the unusual upper partial structure in bells, there can be
> a major discrepancy between pitch and frequency (25 or 50 cents)
> that far exceeds any differences in frequency due to temperament
> * experiments have shown that this discrepancy between pitch and
> frequency provides a good numerical explanation for stretch tuning.
>
> It's a tragedy about Taylors. Let's hope for a good outcome for all
> their staff.
>
> Bill H

Charles Lucy
lucy at yma_pzn9IW-aKKGGgmOAtlJGIF94odpbTdPRB7fRcG_rN9dOboya1BW2FHhNYpN6OUIkgca53g.yahoo.invalid

- Promoting global harmony through LucyTuning -

for information on LucyTuning go to:
http://www.lucytune.com

For LucyTuned Lullabies go to:
http://www.lullabies.co.uk