[Bell Historians] New ropes

Bickerton, Roderic (SELEX GALILEO, UK) Roderic.Bickerton at 37iweiSVnRIyCgRevl4slRz1zrRmIfiCUq9VEuQpazd_TQt3b4zy-GoSCfZv-ogIXHaq5PA0bSg0M9bDHo5bgI9I6PkQl-Kcnw.yahoo.invalid
Tue Sep 29 10:12:16 BST 2009

I have spliced braded onto 3 strand, in his case Dynema, but the lay of
the braid resulted in a strange stretch charactistic, an inch of low
load pull out followed by a rigid no stretch feel, sadly not nice to
ring.
On that basis I abandoned platted rope, in the hope some day I could get
someone to lay up a 3 strand rope with some core strands of Dynema, or
possibly a full Dynema top end.

The splice was very easy and neat. I taper the 3 strand to nothing,
inserted the taper inside the braid, opened 3" of braid and formed 3
strands which I spliced in normally, 1 full tuck tapering away in 4
more. looked very nice, and worked beautify
In principle Dynema has a lot of advantages, less than half the stretch
of Polyester and much less mass which allows a bell on a long draft to
rise at back stroke much more easily with less rope weight dragging it
down.

________________________________

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Mark Regan
Sent: 29 September 2009 09:53
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Bell Historians] New ropes

                    *** WARNING ***

 This message has originated outside your organisation,

We have three of Philip's rope at Worcester Cathedral. The rope on the
tenor is the first I've experienced with no stretch. This makes a big
difference when handling 48 cwt bell. His experiments on splicing
braided rope to three-strand are successful.

Philip's work is to be encouraged. Standards elsewhere have slipped, and
long seasonally affected waiting lists hardly score well as good
customer service.

Mark

Mark Regan

22 Sebright Avenue