[Bell Historians] Rope Chutes

Bickerton, Roderic (SELEX GALILEO, UK) Roderic.Bickerton at AbP4k58h9S-kRXw7nVGBkJxDfUpxsEI49ginjMupIBenPDqfhrQ9LCl1EbQHOtUh7Cp3sudWpgDSrtTU7x2FfUTWvm7Z3yx-.yahoo.invalid
Tue Apr 13 10:21:54 BST 2010

No one has mentioned rope noise.
If the guide extends down to the ringing room ceiling it can act as a
noise shoot and generate more rope noise than is acceptable.
This is easy to fix.
25mm holes in the pipe, on 2 sides spaced about every 150mm will stop
the sound being transmitted along it.

This is not a problem of plastic pipe, it occurs in any boxed in guide,
which is one reason many wood shuts are 3 sided, with a number of cross
bars in the 4th side.

I do not work Wednesday Thursday or Friday.
Please forward to rodbic at XAFzFfzNtz0QErAM1hbSANaowNMM9jFtIrip8PKoOX1G18UClmSQYSRTDYZso8uJKDnp_xXvMFe5.yahoo.invalid as well as my work email if you
want me to see it on these days. Do not send anything classified to
rodbic at XAFzFfzNtz0QErAM1hbSANaowNMM9jFtIrip8PKoOX1G18UClmSQYSRTDYZso8uJKDnp_xXvMFe5.yahoo.invalid

________________________________

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Peter Rivet
Sent: 07 April 2010 22:41
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Bell Historians] Rope Chutes

                    *** WARNING ***

 This message has originated outside your organisation,

Some years ago we fitted a drainpipe rope chute at a three bell tower
(Bolton-le-Sands) to provide a passage for the rope which didn't foul
the clock case, and it seemed to work fine - but it was a relatively
short run.

Peter Rivet

SELEX Galileo Ltd
Registered Office: Sigma House, Christopher Martin Road, Basildon, Essex SS14 3EL
A company registered in England & Wales.  Company no. 02426132