[Bell Historians] Bells lot at sea

George Dawson george at Fai65D68GE-0OAmZETosMgh_-VmDP9mTrMu-4m5ciu3xt9uEwOWWMeDa9ukiaDsq6kFLbAhlJvZbuGin3rgDaGzaYQ.yahoo.invalid
Sun Aug 8 15:35:16 BST 2010

The Toronto 5 from Whitechapel in 1861 were for St James. They were
dispatched with deadstocks, frame and ringing machine.

>From this we may deduced that they were a chime.

Tenor 5.3.11 incidentally.

George

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Alan Ellis
Sent: 08 August 2010 14:51
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Bells lot at sea

Although I have never been able to confirm this, a ring of bells was lost
when a ship went down in the St. Lawrence.  They were reportedly destined
for Toronto.

Alan

John Cummins wrote:

I know of two peals of bells lost at sea.  A peal destined for St. Patrick's
Parramatta, at that time a suburrb of Sydney, was lost when the Dunbar
crashed intto the rocks at Soutth Head in 1857; and a peal for Roma in
Queeensland was lost in 1939 due to eenemy action..

On completion of a large project I am currently working on I will contribute
more to this debate.   Jack

19:12:00