Bell Hangers

John Ketteringham john.ketteringham27 at G1NciVrHgwHwgg1Yu-r_TzR6VKjAdI24DH-QB-PHLWs4GO7Exlz96XHhTHqZZCoJDcJnaQCZOChnENE0kTg-_dXFQMcl7w.yahoo.invalid
Sun Feb 21 10:56:17 GMT 2010

For Lincolnshire Bells and Bellfounders I carried out considerable research
on this subject and this is the entry I included in the book:

The various Trades Directories for the nineteenth century include a
considerable number of tradesmen who are listed as bellhangers under the
general heading of Whitesmith, Locksmiths and Bellhangers.    It seems very
unlikely that these tradesmen did, in fact, hang tower bells and were
responsible for installing and maintaining house bells, which, before the
introduction of electrically powered bell systems, were installed in many
private houses.    This seems to be confirmed by White's 1882 Directory in
which 'Bellhangers' and 'Church Bell Hangers' are listed separately.

When George Dawson and I visited Grimsthorpe Castle we found a large numbeer
of very interesting  house bells in the basement.    Operating these4 bells
by wire must have been veery complex in such a large building so I suggest
that house bell hangers were skilled people.    I wonder if anyone knows of
a set still in operation?