[Bell Historians] Bristol Bells c. 1869

Alan Buswell aaj.buswell at Wke65daq-V8DniWvlp3uBsPq8BI7M34mW-MwlXVN-6mSjHZAWIlOQJzErKi3zKfKA6uiYc-I02DZjNDWlanZFw-SHkc.yahoo.invalid
Tue Feb 23 14:22:27 GMT 2010

Yes, I too have a bell-hanger in my family tree. This was aired a little while ago here. He might have been an installer of house servant bells and may have been working for an Ironmonger.

AAJB.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: RingingMatters at GXmo9rR-O4gPhvckV6_ZpShyP6Obyhtp3jtyky0mMEXy8-asdUBf_lAEhH6so1TtEOjN6Yqlt5LfRCNVx6YX.yahoo.invalid
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, February 19, 2010 7:15 PM
  Subject: [Bell Historians] Bristol Bells c. 1869

  Another of my hobbies is Family History and I have been tracing the life of John STUART, my gt-gt-grandfather.  He was a man of many talents being at various times a Glassblower (1861), a Carpenter (1871), an Artist (1881) and a photographer (1891 & 1901).

  On his marriage certificate, 3rd December 1869, he gives his occupation as Bell Hanger.  As he was a glassblower 8 years previously and a carpenter 2 years later, he does not seem to stay in any job for long and so I am writing to ask if anyone knows of any bells hung or re-hung in or close to Bristol around 1869?

  I would guess that he would have been an unskilled assistant working for a local firm, so can anyone tell me of any bell foundries or frame makers in the same area at that time, for whom he might have worked?

  A long shot but worth a try!

  This has also been posted on the Change Ringers message board

  Malcolm Bland
  Kirkby Malham
  http://www.malhamdale.com/bells.htm